samba-2, samba-3 client and WXP share name length limitation

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Nov 12 22:54:50 GMT 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 02:33:05PM -0800, David Wuertele wrote:
> I have a WXP box sharing a folder called "My Difficult Files", which
> is 18 characters long.  I'm looking through the samba docs and code
> for a reason why this share can not be browsed by samba.  I noticed on
> various newsgroups that people had problems with lengths over 12
> characters.  When I created the share, Windows XP itself told me that
> 95/98 boxes wouldn't be able to browse it, but I figured that Samba
> would be a good bet.  I loose.
>
> Other WXP boxes can browse the share fine.  What are they doing that
> samba-3.0.0 and samba-2.2.8a can't?

It's, um, in my book.  ;)

We still use the RAP call (NetShareEnum) to request the list of shares.
WindowsNT/2Kx/XP use the RPC call (NetrShareEnum ... note the extra 'r').

The problem is that the RAP call can only handle 13-byte strings (one used
for the terminator).  Names longer than 12 bytes are ignored on the server
side when responding to the request.

The RPC call is harder to implement.

Urg.

Chris -)-----