samba-2, samba-3 client and WXP share name length limitation

David Wuertele dave-gnus at bfnet.com
Wed Nov 12 22:33:05 GMT 2003

I have a WXP box sharing a folder called "My Difficult Files", which
is 18 characters long.  I'm looking through the samba docs and code
for a reason why this share can not be browsed by samba.  I noticed on
various newsgroups that people had problems with lengths over 12
characters.  When I created the share, Windows XP itself told me that
95/98 boxes wouldn't be able to browse it, but I figured that Samba
would be a good bet.  I loose.

Other WXP boxes can browse the share fine.  What are they doing that
samba-3.0.0 and samba-2.2.8a can't?

Dave