3.0.0 smbmount and 64 bit filesystems?

David Wuertele dave-gnus at bfnet.com
Tue Nov 11 22:36:56 GMT 2003

Andrew> There are some experimental patches for smbfs, but the CIFS
Andrew> VFS (http://www.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html)
Andrew> supports this natively and is a much better option.

Why is CIFS a better option?  I've tried the CIFS filesystem, but I
can't get anything to mount.  The mount.cifs command segfaults, and
stracing it shows:

mount("//server/share", "/tmp/dir", "cifs", 0xc0ed0040, 0x10002960) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)

The man page says:

 EINVAL Source had an invalid superblock.  Or, a remount was  attempted,
        while  source was not already mounted on target.  Or, a move was
        attempted, while source was not a mount point, or was '/'.   Or,
        an umount was attempted, while target was not a mount point.

I'm certain that none of these things is the case.  I can mount the
same //server/share on other linux machines running smbfs.  This is
not a remount.  This is not a move or an umount.

So this strikes me as a buggy CIFS filesystem.  I would love to find
out how to make it work.  In the meantime I'll have to figure out how
to kludge smbfs to support 64-bit.

Dave