Is it possible to clear a Windows LMB cache?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Nov 5 19:00:08 GMT 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 10:19:37AM -0800, David Wuertele wrote:
> I have a test lan with a bunch of B, M, P, and H hosts on it (each
> configured with DHCP).  There is no DMB, so I expect that P hosts will
> not be browseable.

You could add a DHCP setting to make them all H nodes.

  option netbios-node-type 8;

That would fix a lot of namespace issues.

> I find that the LMB (a windows XP pro box) has somehow discovered the
> P hosts!  I don't know how this is possible, and I'd like to capture
> it.

Interesting.

I'd like to see that too.  It may be that even though it's a P node it's
broadcasting.  That would be incorrect (per the RFC's) but it would not be
the first time that the RFCs were ignored.  Would be cool to find out how
that happens.

> But I need to clean out the LMB's browse list.  Is this possible?

One way is to manually force the LMB to not be an LMB for a little while
by changing it's configuration.  The problem is that doing so might
interrupt normal use of that machine (and if there are backup browsers the
browse list might not get cleared anyway).

*Some* Windows boxes will respond to a ResetBrowserState frame.  You might
have to write a little code to be able to send this, but it's documented
here:

  http://ubiqx.org/cifs/Browsing.html#BRO.4.2.10

There is a tools in the NT4 Resource Kit that can send the reset.  Look
for BROWSTAT.EXE.  This tool only sends the RESET_STATE_STOP_MASTER
command, which causes the LMB to demote itself to a backup browser.  It
would be better if it sent RESET_STATE_CLEAR_ALL.

Again, not all Windows systems will react to these commands (for security
reasons), but it's worth a shot.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org