Windows clients and NT domain membership.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Nov 5 04:44:21 GMT 2003

I need to verify something.

It is my understanding that under the NT Domain system the purpose of the
machine account is to allow an SMB server system to use \\PIPE\\NETLOGON so
that it can access the DC's SAM.  (Am I close so far?)

If there's a Windows system (NT, 2k, etc.) that is a Domain member, and if
that system is used as a desktop client system, what benefits (if any) does
the desktop user gain?

Also, when the desktop user logs on doesn't the Windows system simply
perform a \\PIPE\\NETLOGON locally (that is, as if it were being a server to
some other client)?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org