Where's my DMB?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Nov 4 04:04:01 GMT 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 03:25:48PM -0800, David Wuertele wrote:
> CH> I built a fairly comprehensive virtual network at home for testing
> CH> when I was writhing my book.
>
> Did you document the network layout?  I'd love to read about it!

It's a two part deal.  Part one is that I have a lot of old hardware lying
around.  My wife uses a cast-off laptop running W95, and I have a similar
one running W98.  There are two workstations that run W95 and W98
respectively as well.  Somehow we managed to get a nice selection of
different revisions of W9x.

The next thing was two Linux boxes.  One (a 200MHz pentium box) ran in the
basement as an e'mail server until a while ago when the hard drive finally
crumbled to dust from age.  It was running a very old Linux and a very old
Samba version...both of which produced some interesting results at times.
My desktop is running 2.2.3-patched.  I upgraded it periodically as I
wrote the book.  The basement system is still a 200MHz pentium, but I'll
be installing 3.0 on that when I get time and some new drives.

All the rest is in VMWare.  My desktop has enough ooomph to run two or
three instances simultaneously (as long as I don't expect responsiveness).

All of this is on 10Mbps Ethernet connected via a good olde fashioned hub.
That way I can see all of the packets.

I would really like to upgrade the works by adding a dual-processor box in
the basement.  Something with a whole bigbunch of RAM and enough disk to
hold several VMWare images.  I also need licenses, though, so I'm saving
up for an MSDN license.

That's how this work is done.  If you're lucky (?) enough to have a big
Windows network to study it helps.  I do get to poke 'round the networks
where I work, but they're production and they are not my territory so I
have to be very polite about it.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org