max xmit default to 0x4104 (16644). Why ...

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Nov 3 04:03:07 GMT 2003

Richard,

I don't have a direct answer but I do have some interesting notes.  Read
through this section:

  http://www.ubiqx.org/cifs/SMB.html#SMB.9.2

There's an E'mail from Conrad in there.  He also found some very odd
limits when talking to different Windows systems.

The number you gave does more than just ring a bell.  In my book I have it
as 16611 (0x40E3) for W2K SP6.  Note, though, that my number is the echo
size (if I recall correctly) not the total xmit size.  The difference is
33 bytes (which sounds about right).  Anyway, above that size the W2K
system would close the TCP connection.  Ouch.

My memory is vague on this one, but I tested against W2K SP6 using
SMB_COM_ECHO.  It's a very easy test to set up (a few lines of code).

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org