virus attempts - was Re: Approved (Ref: 38446-263)

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Wed May 21 02:06:06 GMT 2003

On woensdag, mei 21, 2003, at 02:37 Europe/Amsterdam, John E. Malmberg
wrote:
> Esh, Andrew wrote:
>> OK, well, does somebody want to call Bill and ask him why his people
>> are
>> sending us viruses? :)

> I suspect that someone is trying to get the support at Microsoft
> address flooded with either fake bounces or people trying to complain
> to them by mistake.

Well if they do then they wrote a very effective virus to do so.

> At Wed May 21 02:55:40 2003 the virus scanner said:
>    your_details.pif  Infection: W32/Sobig.B at mm
>    Shortcuts to MS-Dos programs are very dangerous in email
> (your_details.pif)

i received over 70 of these emails today.
i usually get about 150 mails (including spam) a day. today i'm up 50
on that average.
My email adres is pretty widespread over many addressbooks ;)

DJ

---
Videolan - VLC media player
Derk-Jan Hartman (thedj at users.sourceforge.net)