NTLMv2 in NTLMSSP does not work

Chere Zhou qzhou at isilon.com
Sat May 17 00:06:40 GMT 2003

Hi, Andrew & Samba Team,

I remember you know a lot about NTLMSSP and NTLMv2.  It does not seem to work
looking at the network trace.  I thought NTLMv2 is supported.

I have Samba 3.0 joined a win2k domain, and a client WinXP box configured to
do NTLMv2 only.

Ok, here is how it goes.  I set on the XP client
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"lmcompatibilitylevel"=dword:00000003
I can successfully connect to a samba share.  However, looking at the network
trace, it goes like
	client say: ntlm=1, ntlmv2=1, etc...
	server:      ntlm=1, ntlmv2=0, ntlm challenge = blah
	client say:  ntlm=1, ntlmv2=0, security blob = blah
	server:       success.

If I also set on the XP client
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0]
"NtlmMinClientSec"=dword:00080000
which means "the connection does not succeed if NTLM 2 session security is
not negotiated" according to Microsoft kb239869, I got 'the network request
is not supported.' at the XP client.  Network trace looks like
	client say: ntlm=1, ntlmv2=1, etc...
	server:      ntlm=1, ntlmv2=0, ntlm challenge = blah
	client say:  ntlm=1, ntlmv2=1,
	server:       ntlm=1, ntlmv2=0, ntlm challenge = blah
Then the client just gives back the not supported error.

I can provide the actual traces if whoever want to have a look.  Joining an
ADS or NT4 domain does not make a difference.  I need this to work.  If you
do not have time to do this, please give me a hint of where to look.  Thanks
a lot.

Chere