3.0alpha24: make bug (or more...)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 16 08:58:41 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 18:22, David Lee wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2003, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > OK - that's a bug then.  Just make it not reference that file, and
> > include the prototype of the single externally callable function in our
> > other headers.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> You say "Just make it...".  What is the "it"?  (And the syntax implies
> that it is I who should be providing a patch to my patch.  Correct?  If
> so, could you clarify the detail, please?)
>
> > Sounds good.  Once you have done that, it's easy to drop from
> > PROTO_OBJS.
> > [...]
> > Apart from the need to just manually prototype the build_options stuff,
> > this patch looks good.  For one extra header prototype, it's not worth
> > the special case in the script.
>
> So the basic idea of the patch is correct?  But there's a detail you would
> like to see reworked?
>
> Again this suggests it is I who should be doing further work on the patch.
> That's fine in principle.  But I'm somewhat unclear on the detail you wish
> to be reworked.  Could you clarify that detail, please?
>
> Is it something like:  Try to confine the patch only to "Makefile.in",
> leaving "script/mkproto.sh" untouched, and passing into it only ".o" (not
> ".c") files?  Sounds fine by me.  (If not, then let me know what it is.)

I'm not fussed on this bit - just don't jump thought hoops to include
build_options.c.  Instead patch includes.h to include that particular
prototype.

This should result in a simpler patch.

> Who should do this?  You?  Me?  Vance?

You.

> Let me know.

Welcome to the abartlet-patch-submission process :-).  As vance knows,
the process works like this:

 - You propose a patch
 - I read it, and write comments all over it, accusing you of being on
crack..
 - you rewrite it, hopefully taking into account my comments, or telling
me why it's actually me that's on crack :-)
 - We push it back and forth, and finally agree on a patch.
 - I apply it, probably with a few gratuitous modifications.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net