Unable to open new log file /var/samba/log.smbd: No such file or directory

Eric Boehm boehm at nortelnetworks.com
Wed May 14 13:14:32 GMT 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 02:36:57PM +0200, Edgar, Bob wrote:

    Bob> Yes, this is _not_ 64 bit compiled. I'm always reluctant to
    Bob> build things 64 bit that don't require it because they don't
    Bob> get much testing.  Perhaps I wasn't clear with my question:
    Bob> Has anyone been running samba 64 bit on Solaris 7, 8, and 9?

    Bob> The real question: Is samba 64 bit clean? If it is, perhaps
    Bob> it would be a good thing to add a configure switch to build
    Bob> 64 bit when the compiler supports it?

I've been running it 64-bit since January 2001 -- more than 2
years. I've been using it in multiple geographic locations supporting
ClearCase users on Windows. I haven't seen any problems related to
64-bit in that time.

I don't think configure needs a special switch. The instructions I
sent you show that you only need to specify compiler switches.

    Bob> I do think that the DEBUG message in debug.c could be fixed
    Bob> to say the failure was "no more streams" if errno isn't set.

I agree, but I don't think it will happen. You would have to do this
for every sys_fopen (there are about 56). I believe that they made
changes to Samba 3.0 so that it no longer uses fopen.

--
Eric M. Boehm                  /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
boehm at nortelnetworks.com       \ /  No HTML or RTF in mail