Unable to open new log file /var/samba/log.smbd: No such file or directory

Eric Boehm boehm at nortelnetworks.com
Tue May 13 12:51:22 GMT 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 02:17:26PM +0200, Edgar, Bob wrote:

    Edgar> I get these messages in my log file and I was wondering if
    Edgar> I'm just being stupid.

    Edgar> This is 2.2.8a on Solaris 7 built with
    Edgar> --localstatedir=/var/samba

    Edgar> As one can see from the time stamps on the files it does
    Edgar> open a new file from time to time.

    Edgar> [2003/05/13 14:08:29, 0, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0)]
    Edgar> ../../source/lib/debug.c:(348) Unable to open new log file
    Edgar> /var/samba/log.smbd: No such file or directory

I've seen this before -- did you compile Samba 64-bit? Is your Solaris
7 64-bit?

I've seen this happen when a 32-bit Samba daemon has more than 256
files open and then calls fopen to open the log file. The error
message is very misleading.

If 'isainfo -v' returns

64-bit sparcv9 applications
32-bit sparc applications

You can build a 64-bit samba.

For Sun's Forte compiler

CC=cc; export CC                      # setenv CC     cc           for csh
CFLAGS='-xarch=v9a'; export CFLAGS    # setenv CFLAGS '-xarch=v9a' for csh
./configure --localstatedir=/var/samba

For GCC 3.x or better

CC=gcc; export CC                     # setenv CC     gcc
CFLAGS='-m64'; export CFLAGS          # setenv CFLAGS '-m64'
./configure --localstatedir=/var/samba

--
Eric M. Boehm                  /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
boehm at nortelnetworks.com       \ /  No HTML or RTF in mail