IDMAP, allocated rids and 3.0

ZINKEVICIUS,MATT (HP-Loveland,ex1) matt.zinkevicius at hp.com
Fri May 9 21:20:13 GMT 2003

Hi Andrew,
I just checked out the latest cvs of SAMBA_3_0. I see that the only current
winbindd idmap backend (the tdb one) does not support any algorithmic
mapping, and continues to use the high-water mark allocation for uids/gids.
This is bad for clusters where a SID could get assigned a different uid/gid
on each node in the cluster. I thought from reading the below message that
this was to be changed, but the only algorithmic allocation I could find was
in the passdb backend which is never used when samba is using winbind. So
does it make sense to have to change (or create anew) a winbindd backend
that first queries the idmap tdb, but failing that returns a uid/gid from
the algorithm used in passdb?

Matt Zinkevicius
Software Engineer
Network Storage Array Solutions