Fwd: Can´t create user root Samba 3.0alpha23

Ignacio Coupeau icoupeau at unav.es
Thu May 8 10:53:06 GMT 2003

problems at gmx.net wrote:

> Hello,
>
> when i use /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a root
> I get the following error message.
> -----
> failed to midify user dn= uid=root,o=<MYDOMAIN> with: Object class
> violation
> object class 'sambaAccount' requires attribute 'ntSID'

the ntSid comes with a new sambaAccount schema for non unix accounts and
similar... but not in the sdambaAccount alpha23's schema, nor compiled
--with-ldapsam

> failed to modify/add user with uid = root (dn = uid=root,o=<mydomain>)
> failed to add entry for user root
> Failed to modify password entry for user root.
> -----

Perhaps your LDAP rootDN is "uid=root,o=<mydomain>"?
you can't add a dn equal to rootdn (see the slapd.conf).

I think the Samba Team is working very hard in the LDAP stuff... If you
can wait for the next alpha.

Ignacio

Ignacio Coupeau, Ph.D.     icoupeau at unav.es
CTI, Director              icoupeau at alumni.unav.es