Call for testsuites!

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun May 4 11:14:44 GMT 2003

As we get closer to Samba 3.0, it would be good to build up the number
of tests we have in Samba.

One of the test facilities we have is the Samba build farm, which gives
us real-time, automated feedback on what we broke :-).

I'm thinking about tests for the options:

 - map to guest == bad user
                == bad password
 - null passwords
 - write list

Simple things, that you can test with smbclient.

So, if people have an interest in this kind of thing - look into
testsuite/build_farm in your samba 3.0 checkout.

The basic operation is this:  We have a pile of shell scripts, brought
into the main test setup with

 . testname.test

They bring in other scripts, and functions.

Just setup a template file in basicsmb.fns, and the template subdir,
then copy an existing test.  It should be easy...

(If this much hasn't scared you, I'll give you a hand with the slightly
messy environment required to manually run the scripts).

We are also generally interested in more smbtorture test cases, but
that's a much bigger task :-)

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net