WINSEDIT.C

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at metzemix.de
Thu May 1 07:32:08 GMT 2003

Hi Jan,Volker

here is the start of the winsedit tool.

It would be cool if someone can finish it,
because I'm busy with the vfs interface and the quota stuff.

for now it can list all entries form the wins_test.tdb.
(We don't want to destroy the wins.tdb :-)

A nice feature would be if it's possible to specify the location of the
wins.tdb
e.g. winsedit -l -f wins2-tdb

Please note:

When the winsedit tool will be able to edit entries in the wins.tdb
YOU MUST USE IT WHEN NMBD IS  *NOT* RUNNING!!!!
otherwise the information will not be used and overwritten!!!
Because of the current layout of nmbd.
nmbd read's the wins.tdb on start and then holds the a list in memory.
then it flushes all entries to a new wins.tdb file periodicly and delete
the old file!!!

For the winsserver it would be good if we would have a proper interface to
a winsdb backend.
witch would finally allow us to have allternative backends like LDAP.

But with the current nmbd layout it makes REALLY NO SENSE!

metze