[homes] code in Samba 3.0, path= not working?

Nir Soffer nirs at exanet.com
Wed Mar 26 18:05:48 GMT 2003

Hi There!

In Samba v3.0 as opposed to Samba v2.2.x, one apparently cannot use a "path" statement within a [homes] section.

I tracked this to a change you made in loadparm.c, revision 1.414 (egads, 9 monthes ago), which now uses:
      char *home = get_user_home_dir(p);

instead of the old:
	char *home = get_user_service_home_dir(p);

(which I'm not even sure exists anymore).

This breaks all installations that use path= in [homes] sections, doesn't it? Or am I missing something obvious? get_user_home_dir apparently just uses a getpwnam call and get_user_service_home_dir (used to?) override this with the path from the section.

>From the latest CVS manpage:

	 If you decide to use a path = line in your [homes] section
       then you may find it useful to use the %S macro. For exam­
       ple :

       path = /data/pchome/%S

Is there any chance of reintroducing the lost functionality in 3.0? If not, then the very least that can be done is that the documentation be updated and a big fat warning be posted that this will break former installations that rely on that feature.

Thanks in advance!

Nir.

--
Nir Soffer -=- Exanet Inc. -=- http://www.evilpuppy.org
"Father, why are all the children weeping? / They are merely crying son