BUG (samba 2.2.8): smbd -l <logfile> does not work under solaris

David Collier-Brown -- Customer Engineering David.Collier-Brown at sun.com
Wed Mar 26 12:45:51 GMT 2003

   The routine really should emit a message of the
form "sorry, you have to pass me a directory"...
I'll check head this evening and try for a patch.

--dave

tony shepherd wrote:
> Oh, that is just so annoying....
>
> This must have changed from 2.0.x to 2.2.x.  It was logfile in 2.0.10
> (what I am upgrading from)...
>
> Well, I feel like a goose now.    That works so much better.....
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> tony
>
> --On Tuesday, March 25, 2003 09:46:16 PM -0500 Brian Poole
> <raj at cerias.purdue.edu> wrote:
>
>> Reread the man page, -l is log <directory>, not log <file>. Caught
>> me on first try as well.
>>

>> -b
>>
>> Quoting tony shepherd (tony.shepherd at sun.com) from 26 March 2003:
>>

>>> Folks
>>>
>>> **
>>> I am not on this alias.  Could all relevent replies please be CC'ed
>>> to me
>>> as well
>>> **
>>>
>>> I have configured and compiled samba 2.2.8 with gcc 2.95.3 on Solaris 9
>>> using the options --with-automount.
>>>
>>> When I try to use the command:
>>>
>>>     smbd -D -l /var/log/log.smbd
>>>
>>> The log file is not created.  Neither is the default log file which
>>> is in
>>> /usr/local/samba/var/.
>>>

>>> # /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D -l /var/log/log.smbd
>>> # ls -ald /var/log/log.smbd
>>> /var/log/log.smbd: No such file or directory
>>>

>>> The "log file" option in smb.conf works fine, but does not give you the
>>> granularity to have different log files for nmbd and smbd.
>>>

>>> tony

Sun Microsystems DCMO          | some people and astonish the rest.
Toronto, Ontario               |
(905) 415-2849 or x52849       | davecb at canada.sun.com