Problem with samba 3 alpha 22

Hetz Ben Hamo hetz at softier.com
Wed Mar 26 09:13:06 GMT 2003

Hi,

First I would like to appologise if I'm not posting this to the right mailing
list.

In my day work, lots of our users are connecting to win2k server with active
directory servers (ads), and what I'm trying to do is to connect our Linux
users to the ads server.

So far, it seems to work fine. I can connect through samba to the ads server,
and mount the shares, do read/write etc without any problem.

The problem starts when I'm trying to share some directories on the linux
machines.

With the "security = ads" - I can see them with smbclient -L, but I cannot
mount them at all. going back to "security = share" works, but then I cannot
use the ADS shares.

Here's a simple smb.conf I'm using for testing:

[global]
        netbios name = hetz
        ads server = 192.168.2.245
        os level = 20
        comment = testing 123
        workgroup=Hetz
        encrypt passwords = yes
        security = ads
        realm = test.co.il
        guest account=guest
        preferred master = no

[blah]
        writeable = yes
        public = yes
        path = /tmp

here's the output of smbclient -L:

hetz]$ smbclient -L localhost
added interface ip=192.168.2.131 bcast=192.168.2.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Doing spnego session setup (blob length=95)
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[HETZ] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        blah           Disk      testing 123
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0alpha22)
        ADMIN$         IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0alpha22)

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        HETZ                 Samba 3.0alpha22

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        HETZ

trying to mount a directory locally:

[root at localhost hetz]# mount -t smbfs -o username=guest //localhost/blah
/mnt/temp
Password:
2416: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

now switching to "security = share":

[root at localhost hetz]# mount -t smbfs -o username=guest //localhost/blah
/mnt/temp
Password:
[root at localhost hetz]#

I have asked about this in #samba channel, and I was asked to enclose an
ethereal log. File enclosed in ethereal format.

Any help would be really appericiated as I'm trying to convince the management
here that I want those linux machines to use Samba and not other protocols..

Thanks,
Hetz