msdfs broken in 2.2.8

Eric Horst erich at cac.washington.edu
Mon Mar 24 22:30:32 GMT 2003

Hello!  With great enthusiasm I upgraded from 2.2.7a to 2.2.8 last week
to get the critical security fix.  However, it appears that msdfs is
broken in 2.2.8.  Several on the 'samba' list have reported this as
well.  Some say it works OK for W2K but not for XP.  In my case I know
it doesn't work for XP clients.  Testing, switching back and forth from
2.2.7a to 2.2.8 and using various clients it consistently confirms that
2.2.8 doesn't work.  I dug through logs, source and the 2.2.7a to 2.2.8
diff and can't see any obvious change that would have broken it.  I've
tried hard over the last few days to understand the flow through the
code and find the problem but haven't been successful.

Would a saavy Samba technical person be willing to work with me on
resolving this?  I have logs and data but lacking an obvious focal point
for the problem I can't summarize the logs enough to include them in
this message.

Also, would somebody give me a hint as to what portion of the patch
fixes the security flaw so that I can at least build a fresh 2.2.7a
version which protects us?

Thanks,

--Eric

Eric Horst                      University of Washington
Software Engineer               Networks and Distributed Computing
erich at cac.washington.edu        Voice:(206)543-8959