discussion on implementation of "bad attempt locakout" policy

David Collier-Brown -- Customer Engineering David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM
Mon Mar 24 16:34:07 GMT 2003

   This has some downsides, you understand: you can
lock someone else out of their account by making a
bunch of attempts to log in as them.  Don't want
root tracking your breakin attempts? Lock him out first!

   If you do go down this path, consider
	a) doing it in a PAM module so the same policy
	   applies to Samba as to all other logins
	b) set a short delay (say, 10 minutes) when
	   someone tries to log in, not a unilateral
	   lockout, and notify root by email.

--dave

Jianliang Lu wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking at "bad attempt locakout" on samba3.0 a22. My opinion is to
> introduce a new variable "uint32 bad_pw_counts" in the struct user_data of
> SAM_ACCOUNT. so in the auth.c, routine check_ntlm_password(), I can check the
> bad password attemped against the AP_BAD_ATTEMPT_LOCKOUT, if it were more
> than that, I will lock the user.
> I'd like to have your sugestions on this issue, specially to know where I can
> put the count of the bad_pw_counts.
>

> Jianliang Lu
> TieSse s.p.a.
> Via Jervis, 60   10015 Ivrea (To)    ITALY
> j.lu at tiesse.com
> luj at libero.it

Sun Microsystems DCMO          | some people and astonish the rest.
Toronto, Ontario               |
(905) 415-2849 or x52849       | davecb at canada.sun.com