[Samba] 3.0alpha22 does not execute "add user script" ?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Mar 21 14:21:28 GMT 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, A. S. wrote:

> Hi
>
> The 3.0alpha22 does not seem to execute the "add user script" when running
> as security = domain. The same configuration used to work fine with samba
> 2.2.7

Correct. When you configure samba with "security = domain" you re telling
it to be a domain member server. Domain members do NOT provide the
netlogon service nor do they partake in domain user management services.
Both these services belong to the domain control arhitecture.

To do what you want you will need PAM and Winbind support.

> I am making samba as the member of the domain and have users store their
> files to the home shares on the samba, so that I need to have "add user
> script" to make home dirs for the users.

See above. To auto-create home directories you will need to configure
pam_mkhomedir.so support also.

> I am running with winbind and it is fetching the user/group name correctly
> from DC.

Good, so the missing magic is pam_mkhomedir.so.

> Is there a patch for this bug?

Please patch your /etc/pam.d/{logon,samba} files and introduce them to
pam_mkhomedir.so.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra