Samba an NT40 Domain

Operator (SCHMIEDER it-solutions) operator at SCHMIEDER.DE
Fri Mar 21 12:09:57 GMT 2003

we have 2 NT40-SP6a Servers, on as PDC, one as BDC togehter with Samba
2.4.7a in on Network Segment. All the user-accounts are on the PDC - so we
use winbind. The samba server should work as BDC in that domain an hold the
profiles an the homes. Everythin works mostly but sometimes the clients dont
get an login-server an logon with there own local profile. In that case the
enviroment-variable LOGONSERVER on the client  is set to the local client.
The error message is "could not find a domain controller for the domain
...."
We tried out different os-levels (1, 31, 64) without success. In the case of
the failure login we get the message "Workstation xxx$: no account in domain
! But - the client should not use the samba as logon-server for the accounts
- the accounts should checked by the MS-controllers. Whe we use "domain
logons = No" we can no more fetch the usernames and groups via winbind.

A protoclo trace shows me an Unicast (get Mailslot) to the PDC an an answer
from samba !!

Any ideas ?

nmblookup -R -U PDC DOMAIN#1C
brings the right list of all Domain-Controllers

Here is the main part of the samba.conf

[global]
        workgroup = COMPANY250
        netbios name = SERV1
        netbios aliases = SERV1
        server string = BDC %h (Samba %v)
        interfaces = 10.250.10.20
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        map to guest = Bad User
        password server = SERV2
        username map = /etc/samba/user.map
        unix password sync = No
        admin log = Yes
        log level = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        domain admin group = COMPANY250+Domänen-Admins
        domain logons = Yes
        #os level = 17
        wins proxy = No
        wins server = 1.2.10.22
        #wins support = Yes
        default service = global
        time offset = 120
        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        winbind separator = +
        winbind cache time = 10
        winbind use default domain = yes
        admin users = COMPANY250+Administrator, COMPANY250+kpichel,
COMPANY250+install
        printer admin = +COMPANY250+Domänen-Admins
        printing = lprng
        dns proxy = No