Support for Multiple Data Streams?

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Thu Mar 20 21:14:29 GMT 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> Ken,
>
> How would you store that information on a Unix filesystem?  How do you
> prevent users or other services from messing things up?
>
> There are solutions, but it's a much bigger problem than it seems on the
> surface.

There are some interesting issues here. Alternate Data Streams can be
accessed via CIFS, but there is no special support built into the
protocol.

They are simply accessed syntactically. An ADS has a name like
<file-name>:<ADS-name>, and NTFS maps that to the named $DATA attribute
called <ADS-name>. Other implementations are free to do it any way they
want. Since UNIX allows ":" in names, the files will appear with funny
names, but searches will be screwed up.

The bigger issue is how to back up the file and all its attributes, and as
far as I can see, Windows NT4/5/... requires that you use BackupRead and
BackupWrite where you can get access to all the attributes of a file as
byte streams.

Regards
-----