winbind win2k group error

Rui Claro ruiclaro at icbas.up.pt
Thu Mar 20 14:24:28 GMT 2003

The thing is:

I'm using samba alpha22, installed from the binary rpm, as I'm using RedHat
7.3

I use samba as a Domain member of an AD Windows 2000.

If I execute "wbinfo -u", I get the AD users. "wbinfo -g" gets me the AD
groups.

If I execute "getent passwd" I see all users (there are only two user
accounts on the linux machine).
If I execute "getent group" I see both linux groups and AD groups.

So far so good.

If I share a dir so that it can be reached only to the members of @"Domain
Admins", no problem. Neither there is with @"Domain Users".

But if I create a Global Group (e.g. Group1) in Windows 2000 AD and use it
in smb.conf:

[ruisdir]
        comment = Rui's Directory
        path = /tmp/apagar
        valid users = @"Domain Admins", @"Group1"
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

and try to access the share as a "Group1" member, I get no luck.

If I do: "id rclaro", which is a Group1's member, I get the following
uid=10004(rclaro) gid=10000(Domain Users) groups=10000(Domain
Users),10010(Group1)

In short: If I use a "custom" AD group, I cannot have access to a share that
uses it. In previous version (alpha21) the command "id rclaro" only showed
the primary group.

Here is a piece of my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = PORTO