patch for logon time on samba3.0 alpha22

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 20 09:07:19 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 18:59, Jianliang Lu wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 01:38, Jianliang Lu wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I've patched the samba3.0 alpha22 for logon_time, now the user's logon
> time
> > > is updated when he logs on successfully.
> > > In attachment is the patch.
> >
> > Does NT do this only for file-share connects?  Or also for Domain
> > logons?
> >
> > If domain logons also trigger it, then the correct place is
> > 'auth/auth_sam.c'.  But watch out, we probably need an option to disable
> > this, as in some PDC/BDC setups, it could entail an expensive LDAP
> > update over a WAN.
> >
> > But nice work - it's the kind of detail I've been meaning to catch up on
> > for a while.
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
> >

> Yes, the first time I also put the patch on the auth/auth_sam.c, but I have
> seen that you update the logon time using utmp when the session is
> estabilished. The patch works for Domain logons.

Only for the actual domain logon, and only if the client contacts
netlogon.  If a user logs into a member server, we should update that
time too.

As to utmp - the code is there because we need the 'logoff' record too,
and this is the only place we get that.  Also, utmp is a 'unix' thing we
can't push back to the DC - while this is.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net