What to do when Windows client asks you to set permissions that you can't?

Ken Cross kcross at nssolutions.com
Wed Mar 19 21:31:08 GMT 2003

Richard:

By all means, leave them not trusting the file system.  ;-)

Seriously, we have a similar situation, where we have almost-Windows
ACLs.  It's a continuing problem.

However, we've found it best to do whatever is appropriate to avoid
alarming the user.  Typically, this means silently doing the
next-best-thing, whatever that is.

An example is setting Read Attributes, but disabling Read Extended
Attributes.  We don't implement them both, so we set them both to
whatever the last request was.

It ain't perfect, but it's an approximation anyhow.

Ken

Ken Cross

Network Storage Solutions
Phone 865.675.4070 ext 31