Question - Latest security alery of samba

Nir Livni nirl at cyber-ark.com
Sun Mar 16 15:54:17 GMT 2003

I've read the announcement carefully.
The announcement does not point a specific threat in the samba code.
It mentions that "This version of Samba adds explicit overrun and overflow
checks on
fragment re-assembly of SMB/CIFS packets to ensure that only valid
re-assembly is performed by smbd."

It also mentions that samba is highly vulnerable to attacks from an external
network,
And that
1. host based protection
2. interface protection
3. Using a firewall
4. Using a IPC$ share deny
May reduce vulnerability to such attacks.

There is no access to my samba servers from the internet, but I would like
to know more about this security issue - specially, which source codes are
involved. (SMB client code is currently no issue for me)
Any list of affected source files would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nir