Showstopper! Samba 2.2.8 can't read TDB files from previous versions.

Fredrik Ohrn ohrn at chl.chalmers.se
Sun Mar 16 15:31:51 GMT 2003

It seems that Samba 2.2.8 is unable to open TDB files written by older
versions. Instead it just overwrites them with a fresh file.

This caused our domain-server to loose the domain SID leaving all our NT
clients out in the cold. We use a domain SID extracted from the previous
PDC, an old WinNT 4.0 server that was scrapped.

Our print server also lost it's registry of printerdrivers and settings.

To verify this yourself, try the tdbtool utility. The 2.2.8 version can't
open "old" TDB files. The other way round works though, tdbtool from
2.2.7a can open "new" TDB files written by 2.2.8.

To salvage the domain SID I copied smbpasswd.c from 2.2.8 into a 2.2.7a
source tree and compiled it, then I could use the new -X and -W options to
extract the SID from the old secrets.tdb and write it into a fresh TDB
from 2.2.8.

I'm still working on the printersettings...

Anyway, if anyone can replicate this I'd suggest that 2.2.8 should be
retracted or atleast a big fat warning should be posted that you may
loose your domain SID effectively killing your domain-controller.

Regards,
Fredrik

--
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity;
      and I'm not sure about the former.

Fredrik Öhrn                               Chalmers University of Technology
ohrn at chl.chalmers.se                                                  Sweden