FW: encrypt passwords = no, security=user, samba 3.0a22

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Sat Mar 15 01:16:00 GMT 2003

Richard Sharpe wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Nir Soffer wrote:
>

> > FWIW turning off unicode with unicode=no helps somewhat, and both
> > ethereal and Samba parse the session request correctly:
>
> Hmmm, I fixed a problem in Ethereal around Unicode handling last week at
> Connectathon. I would be very interested in a trace that shows the
> problem.

Run Samba 3.0 with plaintext passwords.  Then log on from both a W2K and a
W/XP system.  Make sure the Windows clients have been registry-hacked to
allow plaintext.

Piece of cake.  I'm pretty sure I've sent you a capture on this before.
I also sent one that showed that WindowsNT4SP3 adds extra nul bytes
following some Unicode strings, and that Window2000 will sometime drop one
nul byte at the end of the PrimaryDomain field (such that the PrimaryDomain
Unicode string isn't properly terminated).

See also the !Alert box in section 2.7.2 of my book.  ;l
file:///home/crh/work/docs/cifsdocs/SMB.html#SMB.7.2

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org