Error messages generated by passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c are (almost) useless

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Fri Mar 14 06:55:24 GMT 2003

Hi,

Someone asked me what some messages like "getsmbfilepwent: malformed
password entry (uid not number)" meant when using the smbpasswd command.
Not knowing, I went searching the source code to find:

    if (!isdigit(*p)) {
      DEBUG(0, ("getsmbfilepwent: malformed password entry (uid not
number)\n"));
      continue;

This is very little help in pinpointing the problems, as it does not tell
us what the routine was looking at that caused the problem. Perhaps
including the string it was processing would have been more useful!

Regards
-----