New approach for winbind to match Windows to UNIX users and back

Michael Steffens michael.steffens at hp.com
Thu Mar 13 08:07:37 GMT 2003

Hi Michael,

Michael Fair wrote:
> The admin would have to rechown all the files from the
> old ids to the new ones, but a simple find command could
> probably manage that.
>
> How does that work?  Any major wrinkles?

I'm not feeling really comfortable with winbind assigning all
UIDs and GIDs on a system, as it does need to coexist with other
means and tools for Unix user management.

Reassigning their IDs is a major pain, and often impossible.

If winbind could only be used when taking over ID management
entirely, we would be in trouble. So this behaviour needs to
be at least optional...

Cheers!
Michael