samba passwd's

Nate Mayotte nmayotte at charter.net
Wed Mar 12 23:02:56 GMT 2003

Is there anyway to just take a copy of the unix system
passwd file and copy the username and password fields into
the smbpasswd file?  I know you can get it to copy all the
usernames and places x's in the password fields, but I was
wondering if it could copy the password field too?  I'm
trying to get around making it so that users that want to
use samba have to type smbpasswd in order to login.  But ,
I think I'm pretty much stuck since samba probably uses
different encryption than the /etc/passwd file.  Also, Is
there any other way to reverse synchronize the two passwd
files?  I know that if you use a pam module with NIS it
can change them both for you when you type passwd.