FW: encrypt passwords = no, security=user, samba 3.0a22

Nir Soffer nirs at exanet.com
Tue Mar 11 18:17:14 GMT 2003

> Nir Soffer wrote:
> :
> > It seems to me that a more correct fix would be, in the
> case of encrypt
> > passwords = no, to request a normal password and not a
> UNICODE one. Is
> > this even possible in the protocol? (e.g - request
> non-unicode passwords,
> > but still support non-unicode filenames?)
>
> Unicode is either ON or OFF.  If Unicode is negotiated, then
> the Windows
> clients will try to send a Unicode password.
>
> > This is definitely broken now if this the case, regardless
> where the bug
> > is...
>
> There are bugs in the Windows clients, clearly, but I think
> that we can work
> around them.  I also think that smbclient needs to be tested
> in this regard.

FWIW turning off unicode with unicode=no helps somewhat, and both ethereal and Samba parse the session request correctly:

[2003/03/11 20:11:30, 3] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(732)
  Domain=[CACOMISTLE]  NativeOS=[Windows 2000 2195] NativeLanMan=[Windows 2000 5
.0]
[2003/03/11 20:11:30, 3] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(742)
  sesssetupX:name=[CACOMISTLE]\[testtest]@[cacomistle]

So it seems you hit the mark. Now it's time to figure out how to fix it :)

Thanks again!
Nir.

--
Nir Soffer -=- Software Engineer, Exanet Inc. -=-
"The poor little kittens; They lost their mittens;