FW: encrypt passwords = no, security=user, samba 3.0a22

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Mar 11 18:03:21 GMT 2003

Nir Soffer wrote:
:
> It seems to me that a more correct fix would be, in the case of encrypt
> passwords = no, to request a normal password and not a UNICODE one. Is
> this even possible in the protocol? (e.g - request non-unicode passwords,
> but still support non-unicode filenames?)

Unicode is either ON or OFF.  If Unicode is negotiated, then the Windows
clients will try to send a Unicode password.

> This is definitely broken now if this the case, regardless where the bug
> is...

There are bugs in the Windows clients, clearly, but I think that we can work
around them.  I also think that smbclient needs to be tested in this regard.

Chris -)-----

PS.  It would also be nice (hint to others on this list) if Ethereal were
     patched to read these messed-up packets correctly.  :)

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org