Samba Performance on Solaris 7/8

David Collier-Brown -- Customer Engineering David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 11 16:25:49 GMT 2003

"Nastasi, John" <john.nastasi at ieminc.com> writes:
---

I almost thought I had the problem licked yesterday by leaving oplocks on,
and utilizing the veto oplock option to selectively exclude certain file
types.

Going this route, I was able to exclude both .MDB and .DBF file types with
no degradation in performance (single-user).  The minute I tried to
exclude
.SHP file types, however, the problem re-appeared.  Using smbstatus, I
came
to the conclusion that our app is attempting to gain an exclusive lock
on a
specific .SHP file and, upon failing, continues to re-try at 30 second
intervals -- finally moving on after 9 minutes (20 attempts I presume).

Checking with our developers unveiled that our app is programmed in Visual
Basic and makes use of Map Objects from ESRI for GIS activities.
Apparently
Map Objects is where the .DBF and .SHP (shape) files are coming into play,
and the source of the file locking problem.

Because the problem (appears) to emanate from Map Objects, I'm not sure
there's going to be a way to work around it.  I'm just disappointed
that it
works on an NT/2000 based share and not Samba.  The client that I'm
working
on this for is a large Sun user, and apparently has no real desire to
drop a
Windows box into the mix.

Thanks again for your help, and if you can think of anything that may work
in this situation -- I'd be very interested in your thoughts.
Although I've
not yet had the opportunity to run a TRUSS or packet capture, I can
certainly get in and learn how to do it real quick if you think that would
help in any way.

Have a good one...

John Nastasi