Urgent: Cvs download has changed unexpectedly

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 11 01:12:40 GMT 2003

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 07:42:02PM -0500, Dave Collier-Brown wrote:
> Michael Heironimus wrote:
> > I believe the syntax you're looking for is:
> >      cvs -d :pserver:cvs at cvs.samba.org:/cvsroot update -P
>
> No such luck...
>
> $ pwd
> /export/home/davecb/projects/samba
> $ cvs -d :pserver:cvs at cvs.samba.org:/cvsroot update -P
> cvs server: Updating .
> $  ls
> $
>
> On the other hand,
> $ cvs -d :pserver:cvs at cvs.samba.org:/cvsroot co samba
> is working once more.

The syntax for cvs is "cvs [cvs-options] command [command-options]". So
"cvs -d update" is different from "cvs update -d". The -d for setting
CVSROOT is a cvs option, not an update (or checkout etc) option, so it
needs to be between cvs and the cvs command. Normally you don't need to
specify the CVSROOT when you do an update because it keeps that as part
of the information it stores when you do the initial checkout.

By default, "cvs update" only updates directories that you already have.
If you cleaned out your source tree like you said in one of the other
posts, you won't get anything from a cvs update until you do a checkout.
If you want to get directories you don't already have, you need to do
"cvs update -d". Note that this "-d" is an option for update, not an
option for cvs - it's different from the "-d CVSROOT" CVS option.

--
Michael Heironimus