HEAD: PDC or BDC?

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Mon Mar 10 22:03:09 GMT 2003

I'm curious at why we think a server should be considered a PDC if
security id server, domain or ads.

I think there is something wrong here ..
I think the 'server' or 'domain' security + lp_domain_logons() should
make a BDC, and that 'ads' + lp_domain_logons() should simply give an
error until we are able to make up a compatible AD DC.

Am I wrong? Or is there any futher resoning that make the current code
right?

static void set_server_role(void)
{
        server_role = ROLE_STANDALONE;

        switch (lp_security()) {
                case SEC_SHARE:
                        if (lp_domain_logons())
                                DEBUG(0, ("Server's Role (logon server)
conflicts with share-level security\n"));
                        break;
                case SEC_SERVER:
                case SEC_DOMAIN:
                case SEC_ADS:
                        if (lp_domain_logons()) {
                                server_role = ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC;
                                break;
                        }
                        server_role = ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER;
                        break;
                case SEC_USER:
                        if (lp_domain_logons()) {

                                if (Globals.bDomainMaster) /* auto or
yes */
                                        server_role = ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC;
                                else
                                        server_role = ROLE_DOMAIN_BDC;
                        }
                        break;
                default:
                        DEBUG(0, ("Server's Role undefined due to
unknown security mode\n"));
                        break;

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399