winbind daemon not running

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Mar 10 13:36:22 GMT 2003

Jay,
The answer is in your logs.
There are certain parameters that winbindd needs to read from the
smb.conf file in the GLOBAL section, including winbindd uid
and winbindd gid range.  The log is telling you that they are not
there, and so winbindd is refusing to run.  Looks like, from the
other entries in the log, that you have put them in a services section
rather than the global section, as well as misspelling gid as 'gip'...