Printer driver parameter deprecated - what now?

Tom Alsberg alsbergt at cs.huji.ac.il
Mon Mar 10 10:23:08 GMT 2003

Hi there.
Please read my comments below:

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 04:07:57PM +0000, Ronan Waide wrote:
> On March 9, alsbergt at cs.huji.ac.il said:
> > <snip />
> > Well, I tried that, does not work, I get:
> >
> > SetPrinter call failed!
> > result was NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
>
> setdriver expects the following setup:
> * you are a printer admin, or root.

I am both defined as a printer admin and am in the write list of the
[print$] share in smb.conf.

>   - this is the smb.conf printer admin group, not the Printer
>     Operators group in NT. I've not tried the latter, but I don't
>     believe it will work based on the current code.

Uh...  How can Samba users be members of NT groups?  I did not know
Samba supports that...  How do you add Unix users to NT groups for
Samba?

> * printer admins has to be defined in [global]

Is defined there.

> * upload the driver files to \\server\print$\w32x86 and win40 as
>   appropriate. DON'T put them in the 0 or 2 subdirectories.

Uh.  No driver files yet...  As I said in the original message, right
now I do not want any driver files on the server - I only want the
server to specify the name of the driver that the client can use
(equivalent to the deprecated 'printer driver' option in smb.conf).

> * Make sure that the user you're connecting as is able to write to the
>   print$ directories

I am.

> * Use adddriver (with appropriate parameters) to create the driver
>   - note, this will not just update samba's notion of drivers, it will
>     also move the files from the w32x86 and win40 directories to an
>     appropriate subdirectory (based on driver version, I think, but
>     not important enough for me to find out)

Again, I do not want to store any drivers on the server right now -
only specify their names.

> * Use setdriver to associate the driver with a printer

That's what I tried.

> The setdriver call will fail if the printer doesn't already exist in
> samba's view of the world. Either create the printer in cups and
> restart samba, or create an add printer command (see smb.conf doco)
> and use RPC calls to create a printer.

Uh?  What's wrong with just having a printer share defined for it
already?

> NB the add printer command MUST return a single line of text
> indicating which port the printer was added on. If it doesn't, Samba
> won't reload the printer definitions. Although samba doesn't really
> support the notion of ports, suitable add printer command and
> enumport command settings can allow you pretty good remote control
> of the samba printer setup.

I do not use any 'add printer command'.  All printers are added to the
smb.conf and installed on the server manually (by me).

> Hope this helps you somewhat.

Well, to be honest, it just confused me a bit more.  But I will try to
look some of this up and might learn a bit better how this should
work, improving my conception of it.

Yet, my problem remains unsolved.

  Thank you, any further help appreciated,
  -- Tom

--
  Tom Alsberg - hacker (being the best description fitting this space)
  Web page:	http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~alsbergt/