Restricting delete on a share?

Jeremy M. Dolan jmd at pobox.com
Mon Mar 10 06:04:55 GMT 2003

Hi all.

Management here wants to restrict users from deleting files via Samba.
NTFS is able to restrict just delete permissions, but still allow new
files to be created and old ones changed. But I've come to the
conclusion this isn't possible with standard UNIX file permissions,
and unfortunately Red Hat does not yet support ACLs on any file
systems.

In Samba's documentation I don't see any indication that a delete=no
type option exists for shares, which surprised me. Am I missing
something?

If not, is there perhaps a compile-time directive to disallow file
deletion?

Otherwise, could someone perhaps point me to what I'd want to change
in the source to accomplish this?

Thanks.

--
Jeremy M. Dolan <mailto:jmd at pobox.com> <http://jmd.us/>
PGP: 1024D/3C68A1BA 9470 210C A476 FFBB 6D11  0223 0D1C ABFC 3C68 A1BA