Information on Samba QA process, Regression testsuites

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Mon Mar 10 00:47:10 GMT 2003

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 06:03:05PM -0500, Scott Prive wrote:

> I hope this is the correct forum to request this information...
>
> I'm looking for information on the Samba test and release process. I expect
> there's nothing formal like Mozilla, but is there a group or individual who
> has a primary focus of testing? I have some questions.

I believe Jeremy and Jerry both run throught a battery of tests before
release but I don't think any of this test information is stored or
documented in CVS anywhere.

> Is there a official" regression testsuite exist for samba, and where would I
> find this?
> Is there a multi-system test that verifies overall functionality?

There isn't at the moment, but myself and Martin Pool have been working
on a (Python based) test framework for running Samba regression tests.
There have been a few incarnations of test suites and they have been
checked into CVS and not looked at since!  )-:

> I'd like to contribute to such an effort -- or start one (using Perl).
> I have plenty of time for such a thing, while looking for a SQA job :-/.

Well hopefully we can get something checked in so people can start
working on it.  I think we're on the right track with this version.

Tim.