Problem with preexec ?

Andras S. Haramasz ash at marketprobeint.com
Sat Mar 8 22:11:37 GMT 2003

Hi there,
I regret putting the wrong smb.conf in my mail. It is a UNIX path (path =
/home/%u/profile.%m). However, it does not matter, it doesn't work. It would
be nice to create batch files at logon time. Perhaps it is related to the
location of the user's profile. Whether roaming profile is disabled or not
to the client has no relevance.
For a better understanding, let me restate my problem:
Say we create a batch file called %m.%u.bat and it looks something like
this:

net time \\linux /set /yes
net use n: \\linux\netlogon
net use h: \\linux\homes
net use p: \\linux\public
net use t: \\linux\tmp
net use w: \\linux\Work
net use n: /d /y

It'll be executed using "logon script = %m.%u.bat" in a flash. If we create
the same batch file using preexec (placed on netlogon share, or  user's
home, makes no difference), the followings can happen:
1). Setting time and connecting netlogon without a hitch.
2). Windows 9x - all subsequent connections give this error: Error 55: The
specified resource is not available. The computer that shared
the resource might have been turned off, or the permissions might have been
changed. For more information, contact your network administrator.
3). Windows NT, 2K, XP - all subsequent connections get established but in
very painful minute or so per share.

Thanks. Andras