SessionSetup_and_X with VC=0

Peter Hurley phurley at imaginexd.com
Thu Mar 6 21:55:50 GMT 2003

I was following an earlier thread "Samba doesn't free network resource
with XP clients", and in investigating the SessionSetup_and_X handling I
have a couple of questions.  (I only looked at 2.2.7a (not 3.0))

1) It appears that in reply_sesssetup_and_X(), the VC is in essence
ignored. When I look at an ethereal trace of browsing from a W2k
workstation, many SessionSetups are transacted for user anonymous, and
*new* uids are being issued.  Is not reclaiming users by tracking VCs
chewing up pdb entries?  Or is the uid simply being advanced without
*real* resource allocation for the guest user?

2) Is it possible to have multiple child smbds servicing one W2k
workstation?  If so, under what conditions?  I can only get it to use
the same negotiated session key over and over again.

Thanks,

Peter Hurley