Joining domains specifying auth realm

Ken Cross kcross at nssolutions.com
Thu Mar 6 16:44:53 GMT 2003

Samba-folk:

I've run into a problem that I'd like to throw open for a general
solution.

The problem is joining an Active Directory, say AD1.COMPANY.COM, but
specifying a different authentication realm for the username/password,
say AD2.COMPANY.COM.  For instance, this currently fails:

 net ads join AD1 -U username%password

No matter what is specified on the command line or smb.conf (that I've
found), it always tries to authenticate using
"username at AD1.COMPANY.COM".

How should we allow an alternate authentication domain be specified?
Maybe:

 net ads join AD1 -U username at AD2.COMPANY.COM%password

or

 net ads join AD1 -A AD2.COMPANY.COM -U username%password

Or have I missed something fundamental?

Ken

Ken Cross

Network Storage Solutions