[Samba] Samba-3.0alpha22 available on samba.org mirrors . . . installation problems(?)

Ken Innes kinnes at ekos.com
Wed Mar 5 18:25:42 GMT 2003

Hello,

I upgraded from 3.0alpha21 to alpha22 using
rpm -Uvh samba-3.0alpha22*.i386.rpm
and can no longer attach to any share.

During the install I saw the message:

"Moving tdb files in /var/lock/samba/*.tdb to /var/cache/samba/*.tdb",

which is odd, since there is no /var/lock/samba directory to move
anything from!

Now, the smbstatus command produces the message:

"/var/cache/samba/connections.tdb not initialised
This is normal if an SMB client has never connected to your server.
Failed to open byte range locking database
ERROR: Failed to initialise locking database
Can't initialise locking module - exiting"

There is no 'connections.tdb' file in /var/cache/samba, and, since
attempts to browse to the public shares from a pc produce a '\\sambaserver
is not accessible
The network path was not found' error, presumably no client ever will.

Is there some way to initialise the connections.tdb file, or something
else I'm failing to do?

OS is RedHat 7.3, security=server, no changes to smb.conf since alpha21,
which
was working fine!

-Ken

Ken Innes