Norton Ghost, rpc_server

grobe at gmx.net grobe at gmx.net
Tue Mar 4 19:42:31 GMT 2003

Hi List!

It's some time ago now that I asked wether it is possible to join a domain
with a Windows 2000 client using the Norton Ghost console and Samba as pdc. I
now found some info in Samba's logfiles, and so I can ask now for the feature
that would be needed.

Ghost uses an account that is to be specified before joining the domain, and
I used an account here that is a admin user in Samba, so mapped to root.
This works fine. However, Ghost uses rpc later to make the client join the
domain, and these calls are not supported by samba yet. That's from my log:

rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c: _samr_unknown_2d (4231)
_samr_unknown_2d: not yes implemented

I have all user data in /etc/passwd, /etc/group and private/smbpasswd, I
have Samba 3.0 pre21 installed here. I wonder if this missing rpc will be
implemented to make Samba and Ghost work together. When I asked my question the
first time (with less information available), there was some interest in this
kind of functionality, however, I am not a programmer (but a student of
architecture) and I can only offer to test here if someone wants to develop anything
around this.

Thank you, CU, Lars O. Grobe.