Help with spoolss printing

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Tue Mar 4 15:46:17 GMT 2003

Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>

>>Please retest against 2.2.8pre2.
>
> OK - I'll need to build my own packages, which I was hoping to avoid, so
> testing against the new version will probably take me a day or so.

Having tried this, 2.2.8 doesn't compile for me. Found the files in
packaging/Debian (very nice, make this *lots* easier), but no go:-

Compiling lib/util.c
lib/util.c: In function `state_path':
lib/util.c:1876: `STATEDIR' undeclared (first use in this function)
lib/util.c:1876: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
lib/util.c:1876: for each function it appears in.)
lib/util.c: In function `cache_path':
lib/util.c:1896: `CACHEDIR' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [lib/util.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/local_pkg/samba/samba-2.2.8pre2/source'
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2

I know more or less why this is happening, but can't see the easy way to
fix it. The build script for a Debianised package applies a patch to the
source (packaging/Debian/debian/patches/fhs.patch) which adds two
functions to util.c that make use of STATEDIR and CACHEDIR. From what I
can see, the patch should define these if FHS_COMPATIBLE is defined,
which should be set, as configure gets passed --with-fhs.

I could remove the patch, or just build outside the Debian package
setup, but I've got a strong preference for keeping the Debian paths, as
this will end up on a live server, and I *really* don't want to break
the packaging system.

Is there a quick fix?

Thanks,

Mike.