Fundemental bug in winbindd 2.2.7a?

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Tue Mar 4 01:46:09 GMT 2003

I'm using winbindd to dump NT users and groups out to Unix, and I think I've
found a rather major bug.

We have a mixture of Active Directory and WinNT Domains spread world-wide
over low to high (1-2Mbs) speed WAN links.

If I dump a remote domains groups, the accounts within show up with the
WRONG MEMBERS! e.g. if winbindd is running under the local "NZ" domain, and
I use it via "export WINBINDD_DOMAIN=US" to dump group membership in a
(Active Directory) domain on another site (via "getent group"), then I end
up with corrupt entries:

e.g.

"US+Just Me" may be a Universal Group that is meant to contain "NZ+jhaar",
instead it contains "US+other_user"!

In fact, all of the Universal Groups in "US" come through *exclusively* with
corrupt "US+username" entries, instead of the mixture of domain accounts
that are really there. Perhaps there some misinterpretation of SIDs going on
in winbindd?

Redhat 7.3, Samba 2.2.7a.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417