client: browse doesn't work with only win98 in workgroup

Derrell.Lipman at UnwiredUniverse.com Derrell.Lipman at UnwiredUniverse.com
Mon Mar 3 14:41:51 GMT 2003

"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> writes:

> The problem is that W/9x boxes do not recognize the generic "*SMBSERVER"
> name in the NBT Session Setup Request.  Also, W/9x boxes will send back an
> error if the called name is not correct in the NBT Session Setup Request.
> You should get a NEGATIVE SESSION RESPONSE (0x83) message with an error code
> of:
>   0x82:  Called Name Not Present
>
> Since W/9x systems do not support the generic "*SMBSERVER" name, this error
> message is correct.  Basically, it's the NBT equivalent of "That port isn't
> listening for a connection".
>
> The solution is to find the Server Service name on the remote machine.
> This is typically done by sending a Node Status query and looking for a name
> with a suffix byte value of 0x20.

Great!  The information you provided here and interspersed in my message seems
to be exactly what I needed.  I should be able to implement this correctly
now.

> I know that this is pedantic, but it's important to understand that there is
> a difference between the set of hosts in a workgroup and the servers
> offering SMB services in the workgroup.  A host may be a client and it may
> not be offering SMB services, in which case it will not show up when you try
> listing the servers in the workgroup.

I know enough right now to ask intelligible questions, although not yet with
correct terminology.  I appreciate you setting me straight.  Your explanation
of not only the correct terminology, but why the terminology I was using
actually had a different meaning, was enlightening.

Thanks for your help!

Derrell